For a long time I’ve wanted to create a module that would shed light on how perl uses memory. This year I decided to do something about it.
My research and development didn’t yield much fruit in time for OSCON in July, where my talk ended up being about my research and plans. (I also tried to explain that RSS isn’t a useful measurement for this, and that malloc buffering means even total process size isn’t a very useful measurement.) I was invited to speak at YAPC::Asia in Tokyo in September and really wanted to have something worthwhile to demonstrate there.
I’m delighted to say that some frantic hacking (aka Conference Driven Development) yielded a working demo just in time and, after a little more polish, I’ve now uploaded Devel::SizeMe to CPAN.
In this post I want to introduce you to Devel::SizeMe, show some screenshots, a screencast of the talk and demo, and outline current issues and plans for future development. Continue reading